Contributor Privacy Notice – Hello Mary
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS DOCUMENT?
Hello Mary Limited, a company incorporated in London (registered number 11701576), with its registered office at 107 Bell Street, London, United Kingdom, NW1 6TL is the “data controller” responsible for deciding how we hold and use any personal information about you. You are being provided a copy of this privacy notice because you are (or are the parent or guardian of someone who is) providing a contribution (the “Contribution“) to us for inclusion in a programme being produced by us (the “Programme“). This notice covers all Contributions provided by contributors including on-screen contributors, presenters, writers and composers we engage professionally as well as Contributions from interviewees, location providers and those providing us with material (such as images or video).
THE KIND OF INFORMATION WE HOLD ABOUT YOU
Contributors provide us with information about themselves, which is known as “personal data”. This can include your image (moving or still), likeness, voice recording, location information, all of which may identify you.
We may also receive your personal data through your contributor contract with us, your agent if you have one, and any correspondence (including any application form) regarding your Contribution which may include your name, email address, address, telephone number and bank account details.
If we engage you professionally as a contributor you may also provide us with date of birth, gender, nationality, pension number, VAT reference, national insurance number.
If necessary in context of your Contribution, we may collect “special category data” from you including race, ethnic origin, politics, religion, trade union membership, genetics, health, sex life or sexual orientation. Where we require this information, we will seek explicit consent from you before you provide it to us.
HOW IS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED?
We may collect personal information about contributors from the following sources:
- Directly from you, the contributor or your agent. • Background check providers such as Lexis Nexis. • Disclosure and Barring Service and/or Disclosure Scotland in respect of criminal convictions and/or membership of the PVG scheme. • Publicly available sources including search engine results such as Google and social media such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram.
HOW WE WILL USE INFORMATION ABOUT YOU
Data controllers must have a lawful basis for processing personal data. We may process your personal data in connection with your Contribution on the following basis:
Our legitimate interest or that of a third party: considering the suitability of your Contribution, deciding whether to enter into a contract with you, performing background checks as above or to communicate with you or your agent prior to entering into a contract with you,
Performance of our contract with you: filming your Contribution, broadcasting and distributing your Contribution, paying you (if applicable), IP portfolio management, contacting you or your agent, and sharing your personal data with third parties including broadcasters, our distributors and industry partners.
Some Contributions are filmed without entering into a contributor contract (e.g. where we place filming notices on location, where contributors agree ‘on camera’ or verbally to our production team, or we film people in a public space). In such situations, we rely on our legitimate interest, or that of a third party, to process any personal data in such Contributions.
We may also process and share your information in order to fulfil our legal obligations to regulatory bodies.
INFORMATION ABOUT CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS
Participation in the Programme requires a high degree of trust and integrity so we may collect information about your criminal convictions history, and in particular may carry out (or ask that you carry out) disclosure checks and Protected Vulnerable Group checks through Disclosure Scotland in order to satisfy ourselves that there is nothing in your criminal history which makes you unsuitable for appearing in the Programme.
We have in place an appropriate policy document and safeguards which we are required by law to maintain when processing such data.
We have taken reasonable steps and put in place security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need-to-know. They will only process your personal information on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We will retain your Contribution (including your contract with us, correspondence with us and any other personal data held in connection with your Contribution) indefinitely. We will review the information from time to time and where the information is no longer required we will delete it securely.
By law you have the right to:
- Request access to a copy of the personal information we hold about you (known as a “data subject access request”).
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you.
- Request erasure of your personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it.
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground.
- Request the restriction or suspension of processing personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
- Make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues. We would of course appreciate being given the opportunity to resolve any complaint you may have directly with you in the first instance.
Please contact [email protected] if you wish to exercise any of your rights as outlined above or you have any questions about this privacy notice or how we handle your personal information.
Version: 26 November 2021